The Horde Chapel

 

Horde Memorial  

The Horde Chapel can be reached through a door to the side of the organ in the South Transept. It is used as a vestry for the choir and some of the cupboards are used by the church flower arrangers. It was converted to this use with the agreement and assistance of the Horde family in 1894.

 

External view of the Horde Chapel facing north west

   

It is thought to have been added in the 17th Century by the Horde family of Cote, who are also commemorated in one of the brasses in the Chancel floor

 

  Exterior of the Horde Chapel, south elevation
Horde Main Memorial  

The inscription on the memorial reads (as transcribed):

To the virtuous memory of Barbara, third daughter of Charles Trinder, Gentlemen, and Jane his wife.

She was first married to William Rainton Esquire:(by whom she had one daughter Jane the wife of Reginald Bray of Barrington in the County of Gloucestershire: Esquire) and afterwards to Thomas, the eldest son of Sir Thomas Horde of Cote in the County of Oxfordshire: Knight by whom she had five sons and 7 daughters of which she survived at her death four sons and six daughters.

She deceased August the 12th in the year of our Lord 1671, her age 44.

This monument was erected by her disconsolate husband Thomas Horde Esquire, who died.

Click on image for larger version