Current Specification

The pipe organ was first built by William Gray in 1812, then rebuilt and enlarged in St Marys in 1870 by Gray & Davison and then repaired in 1991 by J W Walker & Sons Ltd.

GREAT

 

SWELL

 
  Open Diapason 8ft     Double Diapason 16ft  
  Stop’d Diapason 8ft     Open Diapason 8ft  
  Dulciana 8ft     Stop’d Diapason 8ft  
  Principal 4ft     Keraulophon 8ft  
  Flute 4ft     Principal 4ft  
  Fifteenth 2ft     Fifteenth 2ft  
  Mixture II ranks     Cornopean 8ft  
  Trumpet 8ft          
               

PEDAL

 

COUPLERS

 
  Grand Open Diapason 16ft     Swell to Great    
  Bourdon 16ft     Swell  to Pedal    
          Great  to Pedal    
               

ACCESSORIES

 

COMPASS

 
  3 combination pedals to Great       Manuals           CC – f 54 notes    
  3 combination pedals to Swell       Pedals              CC – f 30 notes    
  1 hitch down swell pedal       Mechanical action to manuals, pedals and stops.    
 

 

           

The present instrument is a development of the original William Gray of 1812. It was supplied with a long compass Great, a very short compass Swell from tenor g and possibly no Pedal.  In 1870 the successors to William Gray, Gray & Davison, enlarged the instrument, this work consisting of a new Great windchest, a new Swell windchest from tenor c and two Pedal stops.  The appearance of the fine Georgian case with the large ogee sweep was affected by the enlarged swell box, and a less than architecturally sympathetic console was also added.  The organ remains much as Gray & Davison left it in the early 1900s.  Although of a very pleasing tone the instrument is not effective enough in the nave and beyond.

Various investigations have revealed that in spite of the age of the instrument, there is very little that can be described as 'historic'. We do not know much about the extent of the organ that was installed in St Mary's in the 1850s. It is quite likely that most of the Great section dates from this time, and it is possible that part of the Swell was installed, rather unsympathetically, at a similar point. However, it is clear that both the pedalboard and the console were added later, possibly as part of an early 1900s restoration. On dismantling the organ, it was found that none of the pipes were in their original positions - for example a pipe marked C was actually in the postion of C#.

Some of the existing pipework is of poor quality and at some point in the past has been damaged through poor maintainenance - though we would add that the organ was certainly well maintained by JW Walker & Son organ builders from their 'light touch' restoration of the early 1990s through to the start of the current project in 2016, and we are grateful to Sebastian Meakin and his team at Walkers for their work during that period.